Monday, January 21, 2008

Reflecting the Father

January 19, 2008

Note: my apologies to those that follow this devotional on a daily basis. I don't always get a chance to spend time at the computer on the weekends, so the devotionals get posted late. Even though the purpose of this blog is personal in nature I will try in the future to publish the devotionals for Saturday and Sunday on Fridays. -- PGB

Psalm 18 (ESV)
25 With the merciful you show yourself merciful;
with the blameless man you show yourself blameless;
26 with the purified you show yourself pure;
and with the crooked you make yourself seem tortuous.

Thankfully our Father doesn't always treat us like we treat others. It is His wish that we do. I believe the mercy is an important one as that one is brought up many times in Jesus' teaching, especially in forgiveness.

What about you? Are you merciful? I know that I'm not always merciful in my thoughts, but I'm learning to choose that direction. Are you blameless? I know that on my own strength, never. But trusting in Jesus Christ, I can always be blameless. Are you purified? To be hones, not always. I can only be purified through the blood of Christ. The Father promises to cleanse me of all unrighteousness if I confess my sin to Him and walk in His light (1 John 1:7,9).

We aren't perfect, but Jesus Christ is. If we choose Jesus, God doesn't condemn us, but gives us the tools (power/authority) to be merciful, blameless, and purified (John 1:12,13).

No comments: