Sunday, January 4, 2009

Attitude During Troubles

Psalms 57:7-11 (KJV)
[7] My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise. 
[8] Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early. 
[9] I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations. 
[10] For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds. 
[11] Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth. 

The beginning of this psalm has a list of troubles brought before God, but the psalmist ends the psalm in this way. He begins by saying that his heart is fixed or steadfast. The first realization we must have during any kind of trouble is that God still loves us; He will not forsake us.

I’ve seen a friend who at one time would let troubles get him down but now looks, diligently seeks, where God is going to show His glory in the situation. This is praise. If you know that God is going to display Himself somehow and you are in anticipation of that, you are praising the Lord. 

The psalmist realized that God loved him; that God’s mercy surpasses any possible measurement; and that God is true to His word. Though things might seem horrible to us at the time we can be like the psalmist and anticipate how God is going to show His glory (v. 11).

No comments: