Monday, July 7, 2008

True Knowledge and Wisdom

Psalm 119:97-104
97 Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.

David states how important God's word is to him, that he has his mind on it all through the day. I usually don't start a devotional with a challenge but today I will. Your challenge is to bring up God's word during different situations of the day. An example would be last Wednesday we had to have our oven repaired and the cost was $116. When I called my wife to give her the amount to write in the check register, she giggled. She said that earlier that morning when she was balancing our accounts she found an error of $117 to our favor. And now I think of Philippians 4:19 - But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Here's the trick though - you need to commit to scripture memory. Over the last year I've committed to learning scripture in 17 different areas of doctrine, plus scripture that relates to personal areas of improvement in my life. I will be truthful that I've only reached about 70% of my goal. I am hoping to have the doctrinal scripture memorized by the end of this summer.

Once you have some memorized you can start applying it for comfort, strength, and praise. To think about it more and more. To even address prayer while memorizing. Psalm 119:18 I pray after every time I recite in the morning before I open up my Bible: "Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law."

Taking on a challenge like this will have its results:

98 Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me.
99 I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation.
100 I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts.

You increase in wisdom and understanding. First of all you become wiser than those who don't follow the Lord - because you have committed to putting the Living Word in your heart. You have more understanding than those who have taught you and those that have been around for a long time - because you are gleaning from the understanding of He who created Heaven and Earth and all who dwell in it.

101 I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word.
102 I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me.

You are more apt not to go against the Lord. Ps 119:11; Ps 66:18.

103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.


You start to desire the Word even more because it is just plain good. Your start to realize more and more how the world system tries to steal that love and desire away from you.


So are up to the challenge? Don't know where to start? Email me at pgregb@gmail.com or comment to this blog and I will start you off with 3 verses in a certain doctrine and give you instructions on how to memorize. May the Lord bless you in this endeavor.

No comments: