Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Obeying the Land's Law

Romans 13:1-2
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.


I find this portion of the Word particularly convicting. The reason why I find this convicting is that I don't follow every law of the land to the letter. This should not be too surprising as the Old Testament shows us that we can't even follow God's law.


I'm going to bring up the most common example for most of us and that is obeying the speed limit - there may be others, but in my opinion this is one that gets many Christians. I believe that being subject to government authorities includes obeying the laws made by those authorities. The only exception would be when the government's law interferes with God's law (Acts 5:29). BUT, if I say I believe it and don't act it, I'm a hypocrite. If I'm following Christ, I need to be without hypocrisy (James 3:17). So, when I drive 5 miles an hour over the speed limit, I am basically going against scripture.


Now, I know we try to justify our actions on the road. "I need to keep up with the flow of traffic." If you break this law because everyone else does do you do the same with God's law? "The speed limit is not enforced here." Do you have the same attitude towards sin? ("I got away with it so I guess it's okay"). "Nobody uses this road so I'm not putting anyone in danger." Once again do you use this with God? ("I'm not hurting anybody, so it's okay").


See devotional Monday, June 9, 2008 - Driving Out the World - Judges 1
If we let the world influence our behavior towards the government can't it be said that we let the world influence our behavior towards God? God instituted government, so we need to be consistent with our obedience to the laws and our obedience to God. We are to be different: a peculiar people (1 Peter 2:9).

No comments: