Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dealing With Unjust Attacks

Psalm 4:1-5 ESV
Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!
2 O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame? How long will you love vain words and seek after lies? Selah
3 But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself; the Lord hears when I call to him.
4 Be angry, and do not sin; ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent. Selah
5 Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord.

I believe all of us have been on the receiving end of unjust criticism, insult, and judgment or the subject of hurtful gossip. Though David came to the Lord when someone was out to take his life, we can relate to Psalms like this because we have the same enemy who seeks our destruction like he sought David's demise.

Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness!

David was not only approaching his Lord, but he was pleading for, and anticipating, an answer.

You have given me relief when I was in distress.

This is an incredible acknowledgment: David is not coming to God as a last resort, but is immediately confessing that it is God that comes to his rescue when trouble arises. This is something to keep in mind, when you are attacked, do you fight, flight, or submit to your Lord?

Be gracious to me and hear my prayer!

Once again, David is acknowledging who is in control.

O men, how long shall my honor be turned into shame?
How long will you love vain words and seek after lies?

This is the part that you should be familiar with. In a nutshell David is wondering why these people are trying to make him look bad and spreading rumors about him.

But know that the Lord has set apart the godly for himself;
the Lord hears when I call to him.


Read 2 Timothy 3:12. This is reinsurance for you: God is in control, you are in His care and He listens to you.

Be angry, and do not sin;

Make no mistake, you don't have to be happy about receiving an attack, but don't you turn around and do the same thing to your attacker. Go ahead and feel the anger but don't the ENEMY (Satan) put you into his bondage (sin).

ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent.

Then think how God is using this thing, which is not a good thing nor desired of God, to change you into a godly person. Listen for God.

Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord.

What is a better sacrifice than yourself? Who do you live for: yourself, your spouse, your children or do you live for your Lord? If you live for your Lord and put your trust in Him, what do these attacks really amount to in your life?

No comments: