Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Ways of the Worldly

Psalm 10:3-7 KJV
3 For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.
4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
5 His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them.
6 He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.
7 His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.

Can you be described like this person at all? We may not see ourselves as being "wicked," but have you let this present world system affect your life where you emulate the wicked described here?

Let's break down the passage a bit:
• Takes pride in his desires.
• Approves of people "wanting to keep up with Jones"
• Doesn't desire God, but rather his own opinions.
• He always acts in disobedience to what would please God.
• He finds security in himself.
• He is a master of putting others down, trickery, and cheating.
• He is always looking for the unethical loophole or angle that puts him in a better position.

I tried to word the list so you could identify the traits in our culture. I have to admit that I am not innocent of these. But I will tell you that I never thought of myself as wicked. If you are like me, when you see a list describing the wicked you just glance over it, because you are not wicked it doesn't apply to you.

The world system approves of the traits listed above, but what is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God. (Luke 16:15). Don't let the world deceive you.

No comments: