Friday, February 8, 2008

Watch God

Exodus 14 (ESV)
13 And Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. 14 The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

Verse 14 is so powerful. "The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent." The King James says "Ye shall hold your peace." I know my understanding of this is pretty blunt - "Just shut up and let God be God." At least the Bible isn't as harsh as I am, but that's what is being said.

Israel was being pursued and was trapped between the Red Sea and a horde of angry Egyptians. Israel, like us, just started whining and complaining - not only that but with a sarastics tone: "What? There wasn't enough room for graves in Egypt so you brought us out to the wilderness to die?" Moses responds, "Be silent and just watch what God is going to do."

This is the first time I've looked at Exodus 14:14 in my own words - and frankly, I'm convicted by it. By nature, I'm a complainer. And by nature, I want to solve my own problems. I've been in the process of learning that there is more to be thankful for than to complain about. But sometimes that "complainer" is just lurking under the surface - maybe not voicing complaints, but maybe influencing attitudes or actions. I now see in those situations, a simple sentence can help me get the right perspective: "Silence! Watch God!"

No comments: