Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What's there to fear?

Psalm 27
1 The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?

This psalm came a day after I faced the temptation of fear. My family faced three pieces of bad news in one day and all in the same area. The first thing that came to mind was, "What are we going to do?" And though that was not the "mature Christian" thought, it still shows that I have "knee-jerk" reactions.

I quickly recovered from this, but there was one part of that actually desired "to worry." Though with my heart and mind I trusted in the Lord, there was a part of me upset that I couldn't worry. I know its silly, and I saw it as silly and quickly dismissed it as another temptation to deal with situations on my own (or in the flesh). But it did make me think.

How many of us would not see that as temptation but automatically go into survival mode? Do we let fear trigger us into a primal survival mode? Do you know another name for this survival mode? Yep, you got it, it's our sinful nature. Its us deciding we know how to survive better than the Creator of life Himself.

The beginning of this psalm sparked this thought, and the answer comes in the last line. Take time to reflect on what fears trigger you into survivor mode, and then let the Lord have control in those areas.

Psalm 27:14
Wait for the Lord;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
wait for the Lord!

No comments: