Monday, February 25, 2008

Worth Another Try

Luke 13:6-9
6 And he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. 7 And he said to the vinedresser, ‘Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?’ 8 And he answered him, ‘Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure. 9 Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down.’”

I see myself in this parable. Not the fig tree nor the vinedresser, but the man ready to cut the fig tree down. I'm learning not to be like this man, but I can see many of my old attitudes. How many times have you looked at the actions or words of another Christian and thought "they should know better"? Or "I don't see evidence of Christ in their lives"?

Well, I guess you know who the tree is. Now which role do you play: the man or the vinedresser? Are you ready to scrap that unfruitful person or give them nourishment? It may be that unfruitful person has not had a good vinedresser (mentor) and all they need is that time with someone who can lead them through the scriptures (make sure they have plenty of nourishment).

So what is your choice? Shall you out of frustration be judgmental or shall you out of love be nourishing?

No comments: