Saturday, December 20, 2008

Acknowledging My Faults

Psalms 51:1-4 (KJV)

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
[2] Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
[3] For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin 
is ever before me.
[4] Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done 
this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

When we acknowledge our sin to God, we put our total dependence on his mercy. We’ve already received God’s mercy and God knows where we have sinned. He still loves us (Rom 5:8). If we have already put our faith in Christ, that sin has been taken care of (Rom 6:10).

So why do I need to acknowledge my sin? Why do I need to turn from it? Sin gets in the way of our communication with God (Ps 66:18). If we try to hide it, we end up tripping ourselves up (Pr 28:13). And knowing God’s mercy comes from just confessing and forsaking that sin (Pr 28:13).

If mercy and forgiveness is that close, why not take it to the Lord? Why hide from Him when He has so much for us? God understands the temptations we deal with (Heb 4:15) and He knows we buckle under the temptations sometimes – if that wasn’t the case there would be no need for Jesus Christ. Let God love you, lay it all out before Him and let Him take care of you.  

No comments: