Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The King in Control

Psalm 47:6-9 KJV

6 Sing praises to God, sing praises: sing praises unto our King, sing praises.

7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding.

8 God reigneth over the heathen: God sitteth upon the throne of his holiness.

9 The princes of the people are gathered together, even the people of the God of Abraham: for the shields of the earth belong unto God: he is greatly exalted.

I am often found quoting Romans 8:28 during times of confusion and chaos, knowing that God will make everything work out to the best. This portion of scripture reminds me that even before I claim that promise that God is in control. Plain and simple, God is in control. 

I should just stop with that paragraph, but since I know there are many, like myself, that struggle with being in control. I struggle with it because I want peace in my life – if everything is in its place there is peace (we know from my devotional last week that peace is attained more from moderation than control). And many of us have this same issue with control, not because we are power hungry but because we want peace.

It surely helps me to know that God is in control. And if He allows me to go through a “roller-coaster” event, He will bring me through it (1 Cor 10:12). Many times we need to go through these events, that we are trying oh so hard to avoid, to perfect our faith (James 1:2; 1 Pet 1:6,7).  Look at Ps 47:7 above; it says to praise God with this understanding. Realize that God is on the throne, not you, and praise Him for that. If God is in control, we are able to let go of worries and fears and just watch Him show His glory through our lives.

No comments: