Friday, August 7, 2009

Blessings in Training

Galatians 5:13 (KJV)
For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

1 Corinthians 10:31 (KJV)
Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

You are probably wondering what these two verses have with training, so I need to explain a little. Part of my morning routine is to review memory verses. Paul alluded that disciplines of godliness are similar to an athlete training to compete (1 Timothy 4:7-8; 1 Corinthians 9:25). But sometimes memory verse review can become “just routine” so I strive to meditate (go over and over) and put into practice the memory verses.

Psalm 119:11 (KJV)
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

Psalm 119:15-16 (HCSB)
I will meditate on Your precepts and think about Your ways.
[16] I will delight in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word.

Psalm 119:27 (HCSB)
Help me understand the meaning of Your precepts so that I can meditate on Your wonders.

So during my review session, two of verses really stuck out concerning a very busy season I’m going through right now – Galatians 5:13 and 1 Corinthians 10:31. My life is no busier than anybody else’s life, it is just becoming grueling: taking care of a homeowner’s issue that takes persistence and daily work; installing a new floor in the dining room; taking care of children out of school (more laundry and more meals); study; and my full workload at church. I don’t even think I’ve had a date with my wife (even a little one) since July 26th. It’s just busy for me. I’m not complaining – it’s good to have a full schedule. It just can get overwhelming.

Galatians 5:13 reminded me that I don’t “HAVE TO” do any of these things. The liberty I have in Christ has freed me up from all of the “HAVE TO’s” in my life. I CHOOSE to take on a full load to show love and serve. This was a reminder and an encouragement to press on.

1 Corinthians 10:31 lets me know that everything I do can and should be to the glory of God. Serving and loving my family (home and church) is a great way to give glory to God.

The blessing in the training? I have a home to take care of – that’s a blessing. I have a family to serve and love – that’s a blessing. I serve full-time in the ministry – that’s a blessing. I have time to spend with the Lord in His Word and in prayer – that’s a wonderful blessing!

1 John 5:1-5 (HCSB)
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Messiah has been born of God, and everyone who loves the parent also loves his child. [2] This is how we know that we love God's children when we love God and obey His commands. [3] For this is what love for God is: to keep His commands. Now His commands are not a burden, [4] because whatever has been born of God conquers the world. This is the victory that has conquered the world: our faith. [5] And who is the one who conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

No comments: