Thursday, August 13, 2009

Stay Out of the Way of Trouble

Proverbs 22:3 (ESV)
The prudent sees danger and hides himself, but the simple go on and suffer for it.

This is a lesson I am constantly learning over and over. Recently it has been with activity on an online community (which this will be posted to). With many of the online communities come quizzes, lists, games and such. And like many, though I began to get in contact with people from school and churches from my past, I started doing the “farming” and the “20 bizarre things about me” applications. All in fun – but at a cost.

First of all, I find some of the games to be time-consuming. And I know that I need to be a good steward of my time because if I don’t I could be spending it foolishly:

Ephesians 5:15-21 (HCSB)
Pay careful attention, then, to how you walk -not as unwise people but as wise- [16] making the most of the time, because the days are evil. [17] So don't be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. [18] And don't get drunk with wine, which leads to reckless actions, but be filled with the Spirit:
[19] speaking to one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making music to the Lord in your heart, [20] giving thanks always for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, [21] submitting to one another in the fear of Christ.

Am I saying that growing virtual asparagus is wrong? No. I’m saying that the pursuit of a virtual conquest for me can become consuming if not intoxicating (Eph 5:18). So, I had to eliminate such diversions.

Why won’t I do the “20 Things that I Like to Soak My Feet In” lists anymore? Because I found that by not including somebody in this list I could possibly hurt them. We do these things all for a couple of chuckles, but we have to remember that any form of “partiality” can be hurtful to some. I don’t want to take that chance anymore. (James 3:17)

And why would I stay away from the “Which ‘Mork & Mindy’ Character Are You?” quiz? It’s just for fun. I don’t think there is anything “wrong” with these. I have received comments on these that could be considered hurtful. So once again, I don’t want to put something up (that could have easily been avoided) that will cause sin or the appearance of sin.

Personally, I can see some “danger” in all these diversions. Why did I sign up for an online community? It wasn’t for these diversions - it was so I can see what’s going on in the lives of friends and families; to see pictures of their kids graduating or their trips to Orlando. So please, don’t see me as being legalistic or a stick in the mud, I just want to put aside anything that hinders (danger) and have a little part of the lives of my friends and family. (Hebrews 12:1)

No comments: