Monday, August 3, 2009

Call Me Foolish (or Stupid)

Proverbs 12:15-16 (ESV)
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.
[16] The vexation of a fool is known at once, but the prudent ignores an insult.

(another translation of the words we get “fool” and “foolish” from is “stupid”)

So many of us are like this in both areas: our way of doing things is always right (even when we are wrong) and we are easily offended. I know that I fail in both areas often, but I pray that the Lord continues to work on me.

Two scriptures come to mind right now as I look at this Proverb: Psalm 139:23-24 & James 3:17.

In my opinion, Psalm 139:23-24 should always be applied when we approach God’s word:

Psalms 139:23-24 (KJV)
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
[24] And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Do you value your own opinion too highly? Is it your way or the highway? Do you judge others by standards God has not set on them (tradition above scripture)? Are you so righteous that there is no room for correction?

Do you get offended easily? Do lost people acting like their “father” really irk you? How do you react when someone purposely hurts you or excludes you? Or how about when they do so without even knowing it?

This Proverb addresses the right paths in both instances (“…but the wise man” and “…but the prudent”). Which brings me to James 3:17. Why? Because “wise man” and “prudent” both refer to wisdom. What’s the best wisdom? The wisdom from above:

James 3:17 (KJV)
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated (open to reason), full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality (impartial), and without hypocrisy (sincere).
(ESV translation of phrases in parentheses)

Obviously we are going to have issues to deal with – are you willing to apply James 3:17 when tackling issues? When someone offers a different way of doing things (or advice), can you be open to reason? When someone hurts you can you be pure, peaceful, gentle and merciful when you address the issue? This is the wisdom you have been given. You have been empowered to use it. So can you take "offenses" and "hurts" and turn them into a chance to restore, grow and love? The scriptures say you can and you've got the God of heaven and earth backing you - go for it!

No comments: