Thursday, August 13, 2009

Where Are You?

2 Corinthians 5:8-9 (KJV)
[8] We are confident, I say , and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. [9] Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

2 Corinthians 5:8-9 (HCSB)
[8] yet we are confident and satisfied to be out of the body and at home with the Lord. [9] Therefore, whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to be pleasing to Him.

While speaking with someone this week about the Lord’s return I was asked if I was ready. Funny thing is, I didn’t find this a strange question to ask a Christian. This is one of those deep, self-probing questions. Are you ready to let go of this world?

Let me throw out a few personal questions that are more specific: Are you ready to let go of graduating? Are you ready to let go of getting married? Are you ready to let go of bringing a child into the world? Are you ready to let go of that dream vacation or house you have been saving up for? Are you ready to let go of seeing the renovations on your house come to a completion? Are you ready to let go of seeing your child graduate college or getting married? Are you ready to let go of being a grandparent?

I don’t know what you have on your “life accomplishment” list; I know that I would to see my kids get married and have grandchildren. I would love to see them surrender to the ministry. I’m anxious to see where God takes Betty and myself when we have an empty nest. But am I ready to give this up?

The answer is “yes.” But, where I am today I can say it is a “yes” with a 110% guarantee. Not a “yes” because that is what I’m supposed to say. Not a “yes” with reservations because there are still things I want to experience (1 John 2:15-16). It is a “yes” with an anxiousness (Titus 2:13) to see my Lord in all His Glory.

I’m taking on the attitude of 2 Corinthians 5:8-9: though I’m looking forward to being with the Lord, I know I have this moment to labor, try my best, to be pleasing to Him. That starts with digging in His word daily and then practicing what He tells me. I know that I must serve my wife and family whole-heartedly and not use “church” as an excuse not to spend time with the family. I strive to become more involved with my neighbors and love them because they may not know the Lord and His love – this is a stretch for me, because by nature I’m an introverted hermit (Proverbs 18:1). I strive to love those in the body of believers, especially the ones who may be abrasive to me (either by aggression or just personality); and that means trying to empathize with their hurts and hang-ups (I truly believe that no believer would want to maliciously attack another believer – for they both have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20). It comes down to “what actions are pleasing to God?” Love God and love others; share the Gospel to a lost world; bring lost folks into a family of believers; and train them in the previous four areas through God’s word (Matthew 28:19-20; Matthew 22:37-40).

As the verse says, while I’m here I will strive to make whatever I do pleasing to God (1 Corinthians 10:31), but knowing that whatever I do now will never compare to my being present with the Lord.

No comments: