Saturday, September 5, 2009

Be Ready in the Word and Persevere

2 Timothy 4:1-5 (ESV)
I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom: [2]preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching. [3]For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, [4]and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. [5]As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

How well do you know the Word of God? It’s a question we all should ask ourselves. Are you ready in season and out of season?

It has only been in the last couple of years that I have been able to memorize scripture (Psalm 119:11) – but what I have memorized helps me on a daily basis. I used to fall on the excuse that if I could remember what God’s word said, in general, I was doing good – this is the way I’m wired. So basically I was blaming God for my inability to memorize. What I was missing was discipline (and persistence) in my ability to be ready in the Word. We have a discipleship ministry at our church that focuses on teaching doctrine in seventeen lessons. With each lesson is 3 memory verses that support the doctrine being taught. The way I explain it to folks is that the memory verses are tools for our walk with Christ and the lesson is the instruction manual for using those tools.

How many of you have gone through “Masterlife,” “Experiencing God,” or any other discipleship/Christian life material and remember all the verses? Have you made the same mistake I have? Put more importance on mankind’s interpretation of scripture than on scripture itself? When we do that we put ourselves in danger of what Paul was talking about in verses 3 & 4. Know God’s Word. Be ready in season and out of season. Use interpretations and explanations to help apply the scripture better (as long as the interpretation/explanation agrees with scripture).

I believe the charge Paul gives Timothy applies to all believers, not just pastors. First, keep your wits about you – trust in what you know (God’s Word) more than what you feel (that midnight pepperoni pizza may influence you more than you think). Endure suffering (II Tim 3:12; 1 Peter 3:17). Share the Good News of Jesus with people (Matthew 28:19-20). Fulfill your ministry (Ephesians 4:11-12); all Christians are called to ministry for the building up of the body of Christ (the Church).

Rely on God’s Word and go forward in His strength.

No comments: