Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pure or Unbelieving?

Titus 1:15-16 (ESV)
To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled. [16]They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

Verse 15 is a test for myself: “do I always think the best of people?” I can honestly say “no.” As a self-preservation mode, I believe there are those that have impure motives and I need to protect myself from them. Two statements I just made show that I can be unbelieving (self-preservation & protect myself). God has promises I need to trust in at all times:

Psalms 28:7 (HCSB)
The LORD is my strength and my shield;
my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped.
Therefore my heart rejoices,
and I praise Him with my song.

Deuteronomy 31:8 (HCSB)
The LORD is the One who will go before you. He will be with you; He will not leave you or forsake you. Do not be afraid or discouraged.”

I’m learning to let the Lord protect and sustain me. I am fiercely independent by nature, but I have been learning over the last few years that real strength is in dependence on the Lord.

We still need to be wise on how we behave around others using the proper wisdom (James 3:17). Titus 2:7-8 (the next devo) gives us a good model of conduct around others so we can continue to be pure and trust in the Lord for the protection.

No comments: