Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Israel's Stumbling Block

Romans 9:30-33
30 What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law. 32 Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, 33 as it is written,

“Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”

I think we sometimes look at Israel and forget that we too can make the very same mistakes that they did. The main mistake being a dependence on works and not faith.

I realize that we are told that our salvation is based on faith and not works (Ephesians 2:8-9), but we sometimes need to evaluate our lives and see if we are living by faith and not works.

It may be that I'm susceptible to this being a pastor. Before you question how that can be, realize it is very easy for me to do church work and forget the reason why I'm doing church work: I was called into a ministry because of the love relationship I have with God. (Rev. 2:2-4). One of the new quotes among the leaders at church is "Love the King, not the kingdom."

Okay, so I've shared where I sometimes depend on works, how about you? Is there things you do for the kingdom and forget the King? Do you spend more time: working in the nursery; practicing and performing for worship; preparing for a Sunday School class; anything more than spending time with the King?

Remember, time spent in prayer and Bible study first will have excellent bi-products. This blog in itself is such.

Is serving Jesus' kingdom a stumbling block for you?

No comments: