Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Joy of Loyalty

Psalm 108:1-4
1 My heart is steadfast, O God!
I will sing and make melody with all my being! 2 Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn! 3 I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. 4 For your steadfast love is great above the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

I would like to break down this passage like I did with the Psalm yesterday.

Verse 1 in itself has much to consider, especially as we come to the word "steadfast." This word can usually be seen as "unmovable." I don't know about you, but my heart wavers. It's not always unmovable. But, if we consider steadfast to represent "loyal," that is something I can relate to. Though my loyalty wavers every time I sin, that loyalty is restored when I confess it to my Lord. And whenever my heart is in that state - shouldn't I be able to praise the Lord with my whole being? (On a personal note, I saw this happen last night during worship practice - it was an incredible time with the Lord).


The second verse shows that excitement in the Lord - wanting to start the day with praise. Think of being a child on Christmas eve and wanting the next day to be there.

When we find that joy in loyalty to God, we can't keep it to ourselves so we share it with all around us in an excited way. (Verse 3)


Verse 4 is incredible because it starts with the word "for." Huh?
"For" is a short way of saying, "this has all been made possible because..."

Because why? Because of God's steadfast love. It has to be there first so that our hearts can be steadfast towards Him. And God's steadfast love, His unmovable love, His loyal love is so great that it is beyond our greatest imaginations.


Praise be to the Lord, who gives us the ability to be loyal to Him and find joy in that with our entire being.

No comments: