Thursday, June 26, 2008

Yeilding To The Word

Psalm 119:33-40

Note: If you attended the June 21st Men's Breakfast you will notice this is the same material we discussed.

This section of Psalm 119 should speak to everyone of us. I have divided the three sections that I could apply to my life and to help me remember the application.

The Goal
33 Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.
34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart.

Both verses here ask for God to lead the writer (David) in the pursuit of God's word. The result is to follow God's Word with a passion - whole-heartily.

The Warning
35 Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.
36 Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.
37 Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way.

David was a man after God's own heart, but he was still a man who could mess up. Verse 35 indicates that David needs a guard: he asks God to give him a heart that takes joy in following the word. David asks in 36 that he desires God's word so that he doesn't covet anything (what did David do when he saw Bathsheba?). And finally he asks God to divert his attention from what is worthless and be made alive in following God.

The Result
38 Stablish thy word unto thy servant, who is devoted to thy fear.
39 Turn away my reproach which I fear: for thy judgments are good.
40 Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.

David then puts the result of yielding to God's word instead of flirting with the world: being grounded in God's word and being in awe and respecting Him. Having no cause for shame in front of the King, but gladly accepting God's correcting us. And finally having a great desire for God's word and being made alive in His righteousness.

No comments: